- The Democratic Education Consortium (DEC) is an independent group of students, educators, activists, and community members dedicated to promote and advocate for democratic practices in education.
- A concern for shared governance in schools, a forum for public voice, and practices that encourage civic engagement characterize these efforts.
- The DEC vision is schools and communities where age-appropriate, relevant, substantive, and authentic real-world decision-making is shared between youth and adults.
- Inform, assist, and advocate for issue around positive school transformation to education as the practice of freedom through community, cultural, educational, and personal self-determination.
- Promote and help implement initiatives for democratic practices in classrooms, peace education, community service, and community change.
- Research and evaluate for best practices in school democracy models.